If you want to find out why something has happened, just look at who stood to benefit from it. This is an age-old rule, one that has been used to solve countless crimes throughout history, and it is a rule that we can apply to the Russia-Trump situation. Why would Russia support Trump during his presidential run? That is the question, and it is a question that we can answer simply and easily, by examining the things that Russia gained by doing so. Here are 8 of those things.
- Because they had seen how Hilary Clinton would deal with them during her tenure as President Obama’s Secretary of State, Russia knew that they would get a better deal out of someone else.
- Early in his presidency, Trump passed on Israeli intelligence to Russia, a key ally of Israel’s biggest foe Israel. This was intelligence that Russia would never have obtained otherwise.
- As questions loom regarding Trump’s decision on Russian trade restrictions, it must be stated that this would never have been an issue under any other president. Before the Trump administration, both parties were in agreement: the trade restrictions were to stay in place.
- Although Trump attacked Syria after the UN found evidence of chemical weapon usage there, he warned Russia before he did so, a courtesy that other presidents may not have extended.
- Trump’s ignorance of geopolitics, illustrated by the fact that he did not know Russia had already invaded Crimea, would make him a less capable adversary in Russia’s eyes.
- Although it was little reported, Trump fired a huge number of Russia experts within the state department, purportedly in an effort to clean out Obama holdovers.
- By making a false equivalency between the Russian and American governments, telling Bill O’Reilly “What, you think our country’s so innocent?” in response to O’Reilly’s characterization of Putin as a “killer,” Trump damaged his credibility and the credibility of the country.
- If it turns out to be true that Russia has been holding damaging materials on Trump, then it will be clear that they would have benefited by electing a president they knew they would be able to manipulate.
Even at a glance, it is clear that Russia stood to benefit from a Trump presidency and from helping to elect a President Trump.